Details of the Skype for Business mobile client were announced today, along with an associated preview program here: https://blogs.office.com/2015/08/11/announcing-the-technical-preview-of-skype-for-business-apps-for-ios-and-android/. Both Skype for Business online and on-premises (Lync and Skype) can sign-up for the preview program if the mobile features are deployed today. To participate, either an IT administrator or tenant administrator nominates 4 of their end-users here: https://www.skypepreview.com/.
Each participate is identified by name with their device type and OS version, and individual instructions are sent to them to participate.
In addition to the details in the Microsoft Office blog post, are are some details to clarify common questions:
- The Skype for Business mobile client replaces (upgrades) the Lync 2013 mobile app on iOS and Android when the end-user upgrades the app from the store.
- The Skype for Business mobile client replaces will GA later this fall. It will be a one-way upgrade – no rolling back.
- The Skype for Business mobile client will work against a Lync 2013 Server, but not a Lync 2010 Server.
- The Lync 2010 mobile client will be a separate mobile client and will be kept and maintained separately.
- Windows Phone users can already download the Skype for Business Windows Phone App here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/skype-for-business/9wzdncrfjbb2.
The new mobile client follows the same new streamlined UI and workflow theme of the thick client. Looking forward to giving it a whirl!